Digital project/product management professional with experience in client services, advertising operations, managing high-profile projects and third-party vendor relationships. Repeated success guiding teams in the design, development, and regular releases of new features on enterprise software platforms. Able to forge solid relationships with partners and build consensus across all organizational levels. Tendency to thrive in deadline-driven environments with an emphasis on quality and working within strict budget requirements.
Raise Your Voice, Boulder, Colorado – 1/2012 to 6/2012
Product Management (temporary contract)
Raise Your Voice is a web-based communication platform that enables readers to contact politicians about issues that matter. Raise Your Voice has partnered with digital publishers like The Boston Globe, The Des Moines Register, the Cincinnati Enquirer and the Houston Chronicle. I was responsible for product management & business development for this contract.
- Managed the product backlog of features and bugs in an agile software development environment, creating sprints for releases every 2 weeks
- Guided the software development and design teams in a major overhaul of the platform’s infrastructure (LAMP to Rails) while maintaining legacy functionality throughout the project
- Redesigned the code sharing tools to simplify distribution of the Raise Your Voice widget
- Doubled the completion rate of the application’s web form within the first 30 days of the contract
Kaango, Denver, Colorado – 4/2009 to 8/2011
Director of Technical Product Management & Client Services
Kaango is a software ad platform that provides branded marketplaces for over 200 digital publishers (newspapers, radio and television stations). Publishers Media News Group, Hearst and Atex are all part owners of the company now. I was responsible for product development and management, business development, partner & customer support and software system implementations.
- Implemented and launched several dozen media partners on the Kaango software platform, handling all aspects of the client relationship from the sales pitch through implementation and product launch in an agile software development environment.
- Collaborated with third-party vendors to integrate import & export feeds, customize pricing structures, web-to-print functions, etc.
- Trained and managed 200+ client administrators on the Kaango software, with frequent training refreshers on a regular basis
- Designed the scam prevention system for Kaango to prevent fraudulent accounts and ads from being created.
- Sold additional Kaango features through product demos and marketing collateral for perspective and current clients
- Managed the remote Kaango client support team with members spread out from California to Florida.
Hearst Digital (Houston Chronicle), Houston, Texas – 12/2004 to 4/2009
Advertising Operations Management
Responsible for the Houston Chronicle’s digital advertising operations under the product design/development department. Including the creation of operational policies, ad serving, traffic metrics, vendor selection and management, hiring and managing personnel, training, product design/development, project management and platform implementation. Served as a liaison between the web team and our executive leadership, marketing, editorial, circulation and print departments. Provided guidance and support for other Hearst newspapers by aiding in their own product design and development, as well as advice to overcome their own operational challenges when needed.
- Built chron.com’s operations team to 12+ direct reports with a combination of web traffickers, developers, designers, customer service and QA.
- Designed chron.com’s advertising production software and the procedural and operational guidelines that accompanied the tool, as well as training for sales staff on the platform.
- Redesigned mobile.chron.com and grew site from 2,500 page views per month to over 1.5 million per month, creating new revenue vehicle for the sales team.
- Converted chron.com’s ad serving platform from DoubleClick’s DART system to 24/7 Real Media’s Open Ad Stream to allow for more flexible ad targeting and reporting.
- Recognized by the Newspaper Association of America, the Poynter Institute for Journalism and Reinventing Classifieds as an industry leader in mobile news platforms.
- Reduced the number of vendors that supplied similar services to the Houston Chronicle by consolidating redundant services and negotiating with remaining services.
- Created the Quality Assurance team and implemented QA workflow for design and development staff
- Designed all of the Hearst Newspaper mobile sites to be more compatible for iPhones and BlackBerries, increasing mobile traffic across all properties.
Denver Newspaper Agency, Denver, Colorado – 6/2001 to 12/2004
Successfully managed the development, flow of production and design, and editing of online advertising products to increase revenue opportunities and streamline internal operations with turnkey web applications and tools. Lead high-profile projects and supervise production staff of three. Provide technical training to sales staff on new applications. Manage vendor relationships Collaborate with reporters, editors, and editorial content managers to develop projects that accomplish the goals of the advertising departments without compromising journalistic integrity of the paper.
- Designed, coded, implemented, and trained staff on “Ad/Max” advertising-tracking application to track effectiveness of specific advertising campaigns.
- Developed Cost-Per-Lead program used by education sales representatives to market to colleges, universities, trade schools, and technical training programs.
- Implemented four major site redesigns; denverpost.com and three classified sites. Worked closely with systems engineers to implement new design templates, style sheets, and ad-manipulating features.
- Created and developed Top Jobs, Top Real Estate, Top Classified programs to manage listings to sell multiple related companies into same banner ad. Recruitment department now sells 150 ads per week generating $6,000 of additional revenue per month.
- Led the development of a database-driven contesting tool that created customized contest forms and housed entries in a content management tool allowing producers to choose winners, monitor entries, and determine start and stop dates.
- Created an online advertiser satisfaction survey that was emailed to all current advertisers which had a 40% completion rate, and assisted customer service in addressing key issues. Saved the company $60,000, the cost of a vendor to provide the service.
- Led development of the Virtual Video program selling advertisers a video created from print ads, websites, or other form of static artwork, selling 700 videos since inception and generating $175,000 in revenue.
The Denver Post, Denver, Colorado, 1/1999 – 6/2001
Web Production, 3/2000 – 6/2001
Designed, developed, and produced various forms of online advertising in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment. Worked closely with sales department for direction and goals. Managed set-up of file sharing server allowing the interactive department to pass data between various departments in the building as well as the archival of older ads. Wrote and edited extensive ad copy for real estate ads on a weekly basis. Provided instruction to other producers on new software and new production techniques.
- Wrote production procedures and created design specifications for online advertising (banner ads and pop-ups).
- Collaborated with the print department and large real estate firms and home builders such as Re/Max, Coldwell Banker, US Home, Melody, and Continental Homes to create a special “online-in-print” product that combined real estate ads in print with listings and home tours online eliminating a manual process and redundancy of effort.
- Worked closely with classified vendors to implement redesign of the entire classified system.
- Strove to lead the other producers by example by consistently seeking better products and more efficient procedures, earning a promotion to Senior Producer.
Leadership Certification, (2008), Professional Development Center
University of Texas, Austin, Texas
Masters of Arts Degree, (1999), Major in Journalism
University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado →First graduate of College of Journalism to build a website as part of the master’s thesis.
Bachelor of Arts Degree, (1994), Major in English, Minor in Philosophy
Kutztown University, Kutztown, Pennsylvania
Professional Development Coursework
Java Script Fundamentals (2001) – New Horizon’s Developer’s Series
Supervisory Skills Training (2002) – Mountain States Employers Council
ASP Fundamentals (2002) – CompuSkills
Nielsen & Normon Group (2005) – Usability Weekend, San Francisco CA
Memberships, conferences, community Involvement
Usability Professional Association (2008-present) – Member
Net Squared (2008-present) – Organization to assist non-profits with technology challenges, Houston, TX
An Event Apart, (2008 – current) – Web design standards conference, New Orleans, LA
South by Southwest Interactive (2008 – 2009) – Web technologies conference, Austin, TX
Poynter Institute for Journalism (2008-present) – Contributing writer on mobile platforms
BarCamp (2008-present) – Presented mobile strategies for Houston and New Orleans BarCamps.