Good-bye Houston!

colorado

It’s official, Justine and I will be moving to Denver, Colorado April 30th.  We are in the process of trading our flip-flops for hiking boots and our margaritas for micro-brews.  The adventure begins in a few short weeks.

Over the past 4 years, I have enjoyed working at the Houston Chronicle more than I could have imagined.  My colleagues in the web department are some of the brightest in the industry and I consider myself lucky to have worked with them.  I have no doubt they will continue to serve the Gulf Coast of Texas and beyond with the most comprehensive news site possible.

They have an amazing passion for the industry.  It is truly humbling.

In Denver, I will be taking on a new role as the Director of Marketing and Business Development for Kaango.com, a web-based advertising platform.  I have had the pleasure of working with Kaango while at the Houston Chronicle and they are equally as passionate about their industry and products.

They have created a best-of-breed classifieds platform to help newspapers evolve online and I am looking forward to joining them.

If I began naming names of all the people in Houston we will miss, this blog post would swell to over 50K words.  Needless to say, we have an amazing group of friends in Houston we will miss very much.  This town is full of unbelievably talented and generous people.  I will miss you all.

The good news: now you have a good excuse to visit Denver.

– Dave

This entry was posted in Personal and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

36 Responses to Good-bye Houston!

1. groovehouse says:

Say it isn’t so… Oh man, I am sad to see you guys go.

I hope you will be happy in Denver and best of luck in new endeavors.

2. Tracy says:

I’m not going to lie and say that this post didn’t make me tear up. You guys are my big brother and big sister and I love you to pieces. I’m so happy that you’re getting to return to your happy place and I will definitely come bother you at some point. Hey, Queenie will be missing me, you KNOW this. ;)

Now I need to go find some kleenex. Dammit.

3. Lina says:

YOU SUCK. I’m not liking you very much.

4. melissa says:

Oh noooo! I’ll miss you guys. I know this is silly because I never actually SEE you but I love you both anyway. <3

5. Jim Thompson says:

Congratulations, and good for you, but for the rest of us THIS GODDAM WELL SUCKS!

6. Awww. This makes me sad. Who else is going to make zombie noises when playing board games at Ted’s house? :-(

7. dave says:

dude, congrats! i am sure you WILL be missed there. i am glad it is official. let me know if you need any help before or after arriving back here in Denver. i have a FINAL Rocky for you as well.

8. Good luck in Denver!

9. Congrats Dave!! Too bad we didn’t meet you earlier… maybe we could’ve at least gotten a happy hour in.

That said, I’m pretty sure we’ll run into each other again after you move.

Chris

10. Best of luck to you both! You will definitely be missed!

11. The light just dimmed a bit over Houston with this news. I’m happy for you and saddened for us. I now have one more reason to get me back to CO. Expect a visit soon!

12. jason mcelweenie says:

Have we met?

13. mikemcguff says:

Congrats and good luck! Don’t forget about us little people in Houston!

14. Mario says:

Dude, Congrats! That is awesome, totally awesome.

15. aziz gilani says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

16. Angela Molledahl says:

I feel like I’ve been sucker punched. I’m so happy for the both of you, I know this is what’s best for you. Dammit, I’m sad for the rest of us though!!
    If it weren’t for you two, Tracy Manford, and a few others, I KNOW I wouldn’t be where I am. You guys always made it easy to venture out, and you were always there for me.
    I’m glad we live in the era we do, it means we won’t lose touch with each other. Please take good care of each other. Know you’ve ruined a lot of people’s day. ;) I love you both more than I can possibly say so I’ll shut up now. xoxo, Angela *sob*

17. I knew you guys wanted this, so I’m happy for you. But you will be so sorely missed by so many people!

18. Erin says:

While I’m happy for you guys, I’m sad for the rest of us. You will be missed. :-( Best of luck to you both!

19. Monica Danna says:

Saddened by both of your departures from the Bayou City, but elated for your new opportunities! Many visits will be planned!

David, you and Justine are 2 of the most genuine, intelligent, hilarious people I’ve ever had the privilege of calling “friend” and both of your smiling faces will be missed. Skype, much? ;-)

You know this means right?! Going away party! And you know what that mean right? PAR-TAY!

20. Robert Birkline says:

Wow, this was a huge shock. It is interesting that you going back to where you started from many years ago. Hope all is going to work out for the best.

Good luck, I know what it was like to work with Kaango… j/k.

21. Jeff Wilson says:

Squarely in the ‘good news, bad news’ category. Congratulations but I’m sorry we didn’t get a chance to work together.

22. MagsMac says:

I’m going to miss you!

You and Justine will have to be my Denver friend’s when I visit Gwen in Boulder ;)

23. Ed Schipul says:

Wow, congratulations! And yes we will miss y’all here in Houston. On the plus side, as you said, we have another reason besides @gwenbell to go visit Denver! Safe travels my friend.

24. Katie says:

WOW!!! Congratulations you two!!! What a wonderful life-changing experience this will be :)

You’ll be incredibly missed. Also, you’ll be incredibly well visited by the Texans wanting to get high on mountain air. Hope you’re ready for that… :) Much love and best luck to both of you!

25. Fayza says:

We’ll miss you, this sucks, yadda yadda. But hey, you know, I can understand the allure of those mountains and such, and I can’t blame you too much for heading to microbrew-filled pastures (man, I love microbrews). So while selfishly it’ll be sad to see you go, WOW, YAY, REAL PRETTY NATURE AND STUFF, NEATO, CONGRATS! I’m coming up to snowboard in the winter time, anyway, so save a spot in the corner for me.

26. Pingback: Smell Ya Later, Houston | Ask Dr. Ding

27. Congratulations on your new job and moving to Denver. I know Rebecca will be glad to have a cousin near-by. Best of luck to both you and Justine.

28. Jamie says:

BNF,
    Very happy for you guys. Will miss you both so much and am not looking forward to mingling with the Dave and Justine shaped holes at all of our favorite hangs … but it’s cool, I know it is going to be beyond fabbo for you both, plus this family never looks down at a reason to go to Colorado! Yes! :D Also, that job sound awesome!! Yay cool!

MTB

29. Dave says:

Wow, thanks for all the well wishes, folks. Gonna miss you all more than you possibly know. Feels weird trading in my hurricanes for blizzards. Need to stock up on hot chocolate instead of water now.

Hope you all stay in touch!

30. epiphenita says:

Well, like they say, better to have friend-ed and lost…

Oh, bullshit.

If you had been just a little bit more of an asshole, I wouldn’t be crying in my virtual beer right now. Micro-brew-drinking-mountain-hiking-hippies…

Yeah, we’ll come and visit. Probably when hell freezes over, which as I understand can actually happen in the intermountain west. Seriously, we will come and visit eventually. I’ll be all bitter-free by then.

31. Sean Stoner says:

Well the exodus begins, and you beat me to it! Congrats to you both. Meanwhile, I’m grabbing my air mattress and will be waiting for you at the airport. :)

32. Lexy says:

Way to take the Dream and create the reality! I am smiling BIG remembering our meeting….we both have new adventures! I know in my bones we will cross paths again! Take care and keep on creating the best version of yourself…you are amazing!

33. Mike says:

Well, that’s taken the wind out of my sails. All the best to you both, but it’s going to be a lot more boring around these parts.

Since we spoke last about you learning a new linux command a week, I thought I’d leave you with a few basic file commands and demonstrations of their use:

wedishChef:~ mike$ cd houston
    SwedishChef:houston mike$ ls -la
    total 16
    drwxr-xr-x 4 mike staff 136 Apr 13 22:28 .
    drwxr-xr-x+ 62 mike staff 2108 Apr 13 22:28 ..
    -rw-r–r– 1 mike staff 15 Apr 13 22:26 davidherrold
    -rw-r–r– 1 mike staff 15 Apr 13 22:28 justineDrDing
    SwedishChef:houston mike$ mv davidherrold ../denver/
    SwedishChef:houston mike$ mv justineDrDing ../denver/
    SwedishChef:houston mike$ ls -la
    total 0

*sniff*

Seriously, though, all the best to you both! There’s cool people up that way, and our loss is their serious benefit.

34. Marc Nathan says:

Houston’s loss is Denver’s gain – I’m genuinely happy for both of you, but sincerely upset that you’re leaving us behind. I could probably live with one of you leaving *cough* David *cough*, but both of you is a really big blow for our little town. I hope that Denver knows what they’re getting into and I’m sure that you are going to leave your mark there just like you have here. You will both be seriously missed.

35. groovehouse says:

I have two words for the both of you….SNOW TIRES!

36. Wes Gamble says:

Though I only know you via Twitter, and the smile that comes to other people’s faces when your name is mentioned, I want to wish you the best of luck. Maybe I’ll bump into you at CoffeeGroundz before the end of the month. Best of luck!

Comments are closed.